Friday, April 17, 2009

Emotionless Losses

Having no emotional attachment to losses helps to guard against risky decision making. We need to feel better about recooping money lost and are more willing to gamble and take chances.
Using emotions as a short cut to rational thinking is dangerous.

How many times have I thought.. I should cut my losses and leave now.. But the thought of leaving down was such a negative feeling.. My mind chose to gamble in a risky situation in hopes of winning a big pot and getting even or even leaving up.. But lost it all instead.. Or even worse... Won.. And since I was back in it and feeling great kept playing until I found myself in the same situation.. Only more fatigued and less rational.. Inevitabley doomed to go bust and walk away with nothing.

This is something I struggle with when I play cash games.



-- Post From My iPhone

1 comment:

SugarDayFox said...

Got the same problem. Have been playing mostly sit and go tourneys lately, but had the same effect. How many times I told myself not to sit in when having stirred emotions (over money lost, partner/relative bashing on with anything)? Just to act against. There's an age old adage though that goes something liek this:
"First you know, then you speak of it, then you act upon!"

I am sure you'll get there, so do I.
Cheers and keep sharing - not your bankroll though ;),

Dez